One of the things that differentiates a food mage from an enthusiastic cook is the ability to transform very dull ingredients into spectacular ones! Creating things that outwardly seem indulgent, but are actually either outright healthy… or at the very least significantly less bad than the rich alternatives! That is really the core of plant magic. Seeking out desserts and snacks that shake up the paradigm of the expected is quite rewarding!
Much like the endless entertainment of “spot the summoned doppelganger”, “guess what this is actually made of” is one of my favorite games to play! In a small mage college study circle, I’ve been pleased to hear my friends guess what they might be eating, then see the look of shock on their face when I tell them what it is! When someone is enjoying a thick, chocolate-y dip with apple slices and wafer cookies, the last thing on their minds is “this is a bean dip”.
The amazement is palpable! With just a small number of fairly ordinary ingredients and a blender or food processor, it’s completely possible to cast a complete illusion spell that you’ll be more than happy to fall head over heels for! This brownie dip makes a great dessert or snack- I like putting it in fancy dishes and topping it with bits of chocolate, and taking it as a dessert to share. The best part is watching someone who has been completely floored by the revelation of the ingredients list make everyone else to try it, to see if they are likewise stunned!
Brownie Dip (+4 mana, +3 health, +4 stamina)
- 1 15oz can navy beans (~1.5-2 cups cooked)
- ¼ cup sweet potato- peeled, diced and steamed/boiled until soft*
- 2 Tablespoons PB2 + 1 Tablespoon water (or 2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter)
- 3-4 Tablespoons maple syrup- adjust sweetness to taste!
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Toppings like nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Sliced Apples or other fruit/cookies for serving
- Add beans, sweet potato, PB2 and water, maple, and cocoa powder to blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth- might require an extra Tablespoon of water to get all of the ingredients moving. Stop every so often and scrape the sides of the container to ensure everything is properly combined.
- Top with chocolate bits/chips, sprinkles, or nuts if desired, with sliced apples or other fruit/cookies for dipping!
*I steam an entire sweet potato, then portion it into ¼ cup amounts, seal in a container or bag, then freeze them in those individual portions!